Sunday, June 2, 2013

Rise and shine everyone, today's the day!

So I guess I'm leaving for India today...I really can't believe that the day is finally here! It doesn't feel real at all.

It's been a very long journey just to start this journey, but I am absolutely thrilled to have this opportunity.  Through the Father Smith Fellowship at Providence College, I am going to be volunteering for six weeks in Nagpur, India, with the Indian Center for Integrated Development with Dominican Friars.  The Center is focused around helping children in need from the Nagpur District and strives to end the cycle of begging in orphaned or abandoned youth.  Though the center has many buildings around the area, I will be staying at the Yuvajyothi school, its sort of "home base".  While there, I will be teaching children in the Non-Formal Education Center, and my lessons will consist of mostly English-language skills and basic computer skills (however, since I am a music education major, I definitely plan on sneaking in some music lessons while I'm there).

While I am both very excited, I am also very nervous.  I have never been this far away from home before.  I have never flown on a plane by myself, either (my transatlantic flight to Paris will be just me, and then I'll rendezvous with my trip partner, Emily Reers, there).

Hey, speaking of Emily, follow her blog!! - http://emmyssummerinindia.blogspot.com/

Where was I? Oh right, nervous...there is just SO much that goes into planning a trip like this, and you never want to forget anything that might be important.  However, I feel that my friends, my family, and my PC Community have really done a great job of preparing me to go out and do God's work in a foreign country. I want to thank them all for their love and support during this big preparation process.

That's all for now; updates will be coming very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment